Everyone's firm favourite lemony dish, an ultimate classic. Here's our spin on the classic Lemon Meringue Pie.
- 1 x deep 9” blind baked, sweet pastry case (Using Oast to Host Pastry Flour)
- Juice of 4 Lemons ( rind of 2)
- 5 eggs
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 225g double cream
- Meringue: 2 egg whites and 50g caster sugar
(Optional: sweet pastry made with ginger for pastry decorations and chocolate for piping work if desired)
1. Place lemon juice, eggs, sugar, double cream in a bowl and place
- Over a pan of hot water or bain-marie. Stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- In a microwave (900w) at 70% temperature for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave and whisk or use hand blender to combine thoroughly. Return to microwave for no more than bursts of 2 minutes at a time until the mixture thickens – if necessary whisk till smooth.
2. Add lemon rind when custard is thick. Pour into 9” case and bake at 120deg C for 20 minutes or until mixture seems set. (When you gently shake the tart it's set when it has a firm wobble)
1. Separate eggs and whisk whites to a firm foam.
2. Fold in sugar and spread over the filling
3. Place in oven 160deg C for 20 -25 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Decorate with shapes if desired we made ours into a teddy bears winter playground.