Oast to Host is among the Great Taste winners of 2017
Great Taste, the world’s most coveted food awards, which celebrates the very best in food and drink, has announced the Great Taste stars of 2017. Out of over 12,300 products to be judged, Oast to Host was the awarded two fantastic awards listed below:
- 2-STAR Great Taste award (OUTSTANDING) for their Roasted Vegetable Quongo(quote: "A truly delicious quiche. I never get hot & bothered about quiche so this is a first. It is refreshing to have a quiche with so much fresh produce and less cream & egg. This is the best pastry we have tried and even better given it is gluten free. Very well seasoned. We found this very difficult to find fault with it." & "This is indisputably a well made quiche, the pastry is crisp with good flavour, the filling generous and creamy and it is baked to perfection, deliciously browned"
- 1-STAR Great Taste award (DELICIOUS) for their Prosecco Mince Pies. (quote: ‘Very appetising appearance. We like the sugar glaze and the two little holes. Best gluten free pastry one judge has ever eaten. This product moves the mince pie on’
Judged by over 500 of the most demanding palates belonging to food critics, chefs, cooks, restaurateurs and producers, as well as a whole host of food writers and journalists, Great Taste is widely acknowledged as the most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers. As well as a badge of honour, the unmistakable black and gold Great Taste label is a signpost to a wonderful tasting product, which has been discovered through hours and hours of blind-tasting by hundreds of judges.
Oast to host is utterly thrilled with this recognition from The Guild of Fine Food (described as the ‘Oscars’ of the food world and the ‘epicurean equivalent of the Booker prize’). "It is no mean feat bearing in mind the competition and reinforces our own opinion! We entered 2 products and BOTH achieved recognition! This brings our total of Awards achieved to 6, plus we're awaiting the final results of the shortlisting with Great British Food Awardswhich is due at the end of the August. In our experience these awards help catch the eye of the end user resulting in sales – if ‘you’ had a choice of 4 Quiches and one had a Great Taste Award which one would you choose?!"
Recognised as a stamp of excellence among consumers and retailers alike, Great Taste values taste above all else, with no regard for branding and packaging. Whether it is gin, biscuits, sausages or coffee being judged, all products are removed from their wrapper, jar, box or bottle before being tasted. The judges then savour, confer and re-taste to decide which products are worthy of a 1-, 2- or 3-star award.
There were 12,366 Great Taste entries this year and of those products, 165 have been awarded a 3-star, 1,011 received a 2-star and 3,171 were awarded a 1-star accolade. The panel of judges included;
- Chef, food writer and author, Gill Meller,
- MasterChef judge and restaurant critic, Charles Campion,
- Author and chef, Zoe Adjonyoh,
- Baker, Tom Herbert
- Food writer and baking columnist Martha Collison
- As well as food buyers from Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges, and Harvey Nichols.
Date: 1st August 2017