We found this amazing countryside recipe for Gluten Free Nettle and Seed Crackers. The crunchy seeds mixed sweet nettle leaves make the perfect summery snack not just for those on Gluten Free diets. It's so easy and so delicious we thought we'd share it with you!
- 50g Sesame seeds
- 50g Linseeds
- 80g Sunflower seeds
- 80g Pumpkin seeds
- 20g Chia seeds
- 50g Buckwheat flour
- 2 Large tbsp dried or fresh nettle tops (blanched*), plus extra for scattering
- Pinch of xantham gum
- 3 1/2 tbsp Cold pressed rapeseed oil or good olive oil
- 150 ml Boiling water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
How we do it?
- Preheat oven to 150C/Fan 130C/Gas 2
- Take two baking sheets and line with baking parchment
- Add all the ingredients (apart from the extra nettles and the sea salt) to a bowl and stir well
- Split the mixture in half and place one half on each lined baking sheet
- Place another piece of baking parchment on top (sandwiching the mixture between) and roll out the mixture thinly and evenly to fit the baking sheet
- Remove the top layer of baking parchment and scatter with more nettles (for more flavour) and some of the flaky sea salt, to taste
- Repeat with second batch of mixture
- Bake for around 50-60 minutes - do keep checking that the seeds don't brown too much - until they are completely cooked and dry
- Turn the oven off and leave the crackers in the oven while it cools down to ensure they are totally dry
- Break up into pieces and serve them right up (or store in an airtight container)
But what do we serve it with?!
We think it's delicious with Chicken Liver Pate but you could have this with anything! Add it to a cheese course instead of those gluten filled crackers (don't worry - everyone will love them) or you could go with the old classic and add it to some hummus for a perfect picnic.
This wonderful recipe we found in ScandiKitchen Summer by Bronte Aurell (Ryland, Peters & Small).