Ingredients for a 9" sandwich cake
- 225g Oast to Host cake flour
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 225g Butter
- 5 Eggs
- A generous pinch of Early Grey tea leaves
- Heat oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- Take your Oast to Host cake mix & pour into a bowl and add the sugar, butter and eggs
- Add the flavouring (we chose Earl Grey tea leaves)
- Stir together with an electric whisk until smooth and light in texture
- Pour into a pair of greased sandwhich tins or a lined cake tin
- and bake according to your favourite recipe from 20 -25 minutes for a sandwich cake to 40 minutes for an all in one deeper cake
- to check cake is baked press top lightly and see if cake surface springs back,then test by inserting a cake tester or fine bladed knife when pulled out the blade should be clean, with no mixture residue.
- When baked turn out of tin and place on a wire tray and leave to cool
- when cool prepare your cake for filling ( if you've made a deeper cake slice in half horizontally)
- Add your choice of filling and topping (buttercream is a great one and you can stir in some more tea leaves to continue this flavour throughout) or Jam and buttercream for a basic victoria sponge .
- Enjoy !