Our gluten free cheese straws are always being asked for at dinner parties and not just by gluten free attendees. Cook up these crispy twists of pastry to delight your guests and your tastebuds!
- 60g Oast to Host Plain Shortcrust Pastry
- 8g Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Rice Flour or Cornflour, for rolling
- 1 tbsp Finely Grated Parmesan
- Mixed Herbs/Cayenne Pepper
- Line a small baking sheet with non-stick paper. Knead Cheddar into pastry and roll out into a rectangle approx. 20cm x 8cm.
- Cut into 4 strips and paint with beaten egg. Sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper (to taste) and twist the pastry ribbon three times, pressing the ends onto lined baking sheet to hold the shape.
- Gently brush any unglazed pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with either mixed herbs or cayenne pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven (200°C/Gas 6) for approx 10 minutes until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before lifting. If not eaten that day – pop in oven (150°C) for 5 mins to warm through.1. Heat oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Roll pastry to fit a 6” pie dish and gently prick base – bake blind for approx 20 mins