At this time of year lots of people are inundated with tomatoes from the garden and have run out of ideas of what to do with them. If you haven't grown any tomatoes yourself then head down to the markets because it's the cheapest time to pick them up!
We thought we'd make a suggestion on what you could do with these tomatoes that's delicious, gluten free and a little bit different.
FRESH TOMATO TART
9” Blind baked pastry case made as per OAST TO HOST pastry blend recipe
Approx 8 large ripe vine or mixed tomatoes with full flavour
2 tablespoons Tomato paste
1.5 tablespoons Dijon (gluten free) mustard
1 oz Grated parmesan or cheddar (optional)
Thyme or oregano (fresh if available)
Salt & Pepper
Drizzle olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Scoring tomato skins with sharp knife, place in a bowl and cover with boiling water for few minutes
- Remove from water and peel away tomato skin, cut in half, remove pips and leave to drain in sieve over bowl or on kitchen paper.
- Mix tomato paste with Dijon mustard before spreading over base of cooked pastry case
- Slice tomatoes and layer in tart case sprinkling with salt, pepper and herbs as you go.
- Drizzle with a little good quality olive oil and sprinkle over grated cheese if using.
- Place in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy warm or cold!
Suggestion – dots of chilli paste (gluten free) can be added with tomatoes to give it that extra kick.
Give it a go, and don't forget to send us pictures of what you come up with. Tag @Oasttohost on instagram or email us pictures - email@example.com