Check out our chequerboard recipe, So easy to make and fun to serve. Looks so much more complicated than it is. Have a go and Please let us know how you get on.
SPONGE INGREDIENTS: ICING INGREDIENTS:
175g Oast to Host Cake Flour 400g Icing Sugar
1tsp gluten free baking powder 100g plain chocolate
175g caster sugar 50g butter
175g butter (softened) 4 tabs milk
1 tab cocoa
1.Grease & line 2 x 7" sandwich cake tins. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, butter & eggs in a large bowl and beat till light & fluffy.
2. Place 1/2 mixture in 1 of the greased tins.
3. Add cocoa to the remaining mixture with a tsp of water then place in 2nd greased tin.
4. Place in preheated oven 180 degrees C/350F/Gas 4 for 30-35 mins until golden brown and firm to touch.
5. Turn cakes out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
6. When cool you may need to trim tops to flatten slightly. Cut 4" circle from centre of each cake. Swap cake centres.
7. To make icing - place all icing ingredients into a bowl over a saucepan of hot water, stirring until melted into smooth & glossy icing (approx 5 mins).
8. Cool icing for about 5 mins then whilst still warm pour 1/3 over base layer. With a palette knife 'paddle' icing across cake, allowing it to penetrate the inner circle. Place 2nd layer on top, pour on remaining icing, again allowing to penetrate the cut circle and use to ice top & sides.
9. Drizzle with melted dark & white chocolate. (optional)