Gluten, wheat & dairy free
This is a wonderfully simple cake to make
Note: the fruit for this cake should be soaked overnight.
300g dried mixed fruit
350ml boiling water
3 teabags (I used regular Indian)
150g soft brown sugar (I used 50g coconut sugar & 100g soft brown sugar)
230g Oast to Host Cake Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 medium egg
grated rind of 1 lemon or orange
3/4 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
- Place the tea bags in a jug & add the boiling water. Leave to brew for 5 mins.
- Place dried mixed fruit in a mixing bowl, pour over the tea and dispose of bags. Leave overnight.
FOLLOWING DAY: Before you start to prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder & spices into a bowl and mix.
- Add the sugar to the fruit mixture & stir until disolved/evenly distributed.
- Add the egg, lemon rind flour & spices
- Mix until it resembles a thick cake like batter.
- Use a cake liner to line your loaf tin and pour in the cake mixture. There should be space for the cake to rise a little.
- Place on middle shelf of oven for 1 hour & 15mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven & leave to cool for 10 minutes or so until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin.
- Turn out & eave to cool on a cooling rack
Enjoy as it is or spread with butter or dairy free spread if liked.