Now we're not bragging here, our sausage rolls have actually been called the BEST gluten free sausage rolls our guests had ever tasted (in fact one kind guest said it was the best overall sausage roll they'd ever tasted).
We're not one to be secretive with our gluten free friends about such a delicious (and coveted) treat. We've shared with you our recipe for top quality gluten free sausage rolls (and to the veggie among us you can easily make them veggie too!)
- 195g Oast to Host pastry blend made up as plain pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- 400g gluten free sausagemeat or sausages
- Fresh parsley
- Sage &/or thyme
- Garlic clove
- Black pepper
- Make up 195g Oast to Host pastry blend as per instructions for plain pastry – put aside or in fridge if warm
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Crush ½ small garlic clove with side of knife or in pestle & mortar & mix with a handful of chopped herbs (parsley, sage & thyme or 2 of the 3) before stirring in 50ml water.
- Place 400g gluten free sausage meat in a food processor (if using sausages, peel away the skins), turn to a high speed, tip in the garlic/herb mixture, then season with black pepper.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle (rolling on a light sprinkling of cornflour or rice flour) and cut down the centre lengthwise
- Divide the sausage mixture in two and lay along the length of each pastry strip in the centre.
- Tightly roll the pastry around the sausage meat and brush the long end with beaten egg to secure
- Use a sharp knife to cut into desired sizes and place on a baking sheet
- Make 1 or 2 slits across the top of the sausage roll
- Can be made up to this point 1 month in advance and frozen. To cook from frozen, simply add 10 mins to cooking time below.
- Brush more beaten egg all over the pastry. Place in the oven and cook for 25-35 mins until the pastry and the meat have cooked through. Remove and eat hot or cold.
And that's it, really very simple and very much a team favourite on a wintery day like today.